Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Long Time Coming (Back)

Remember those times when you've gone on Facebook, hoping to see a little red box that announces you have 3...5...17 new notifications, and an hour later you are flipping through pictures of a 30-year-old guy living in Guatemala because he just wrote on the wall of someone who was in one picture of your cousin's wedding album? Don't lie -- this situation is all too familiar, particularly to us Millenials (yes, I discovered today that's actually a coined term). Minutes and sometimes hours pass in a partially-conscious blur. Glued to your TV at 1:15am, you realize your 10-minute break turned into a 3-hour one. Pulling up to a familiar hangout in your hometown, you can't actually recall driving there and you hope no traffic laws were unwittingly broken in the process.

Tempus fugit...

I am sitting on my (sister's) bed at home in California, contemplating the reality that time really can escape. Looking at my archive, you'll see that my last blog post was dated November 2009, but don't throw up your hands in submission to the inevitable demise of another forgotten blog! The truth, which is written eloquently by Andy in the Shawshank Redemption, is that "no good thing ever dies." Although it has gone without updates for many months, this blog was never far from my mind. As I have told some of you, I consciously abstained lest this blog become too much like a journal, particularly during the difficult few months after breaking my foot. Admittedly, inertia took hold at some point and, well, here we are 6 months later.

For the next couple of months, this blog will mostly be dedicated to anything/everything relating to my 2-month summer of service in Belfast, Northern Ireland through the DukeEngage program. More details to follow...very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment